26th Feb 2017
8th Sunday in Ordinary Time
1st Reading: Isaiah 49:14-15
2nd Reading: 1 Corinthians 4:1-5
Gospel: Matthew 6:24-34
DON'T BE ANXIOUS
People have, it seems, a natural penchant for misplaced emphasis on unimportant things. They can easily get caught up with what they’re having for dinner or what they will wear. Often it is a tragedy that helps people to refocus on what is really important. What I shall wear is an irrelevant question when I am facing surgery or chemotherapy. What’s for dinner is immaterial to those living through grief or unemployment. In today’s Gospel, Jesus tells us not to worry. He doesn’t say, “Don’t eat. Don’t cook. Don’t buy clothes.” He says, “Don’t worry.” Jesus asks us not to relinquish our responsibilities but to let go of our anxiety. Anxiety betrays a lack of trust and Jesus reminds us that “Your heavenly Father knows” all that you need (Matthew 6:32).
The season of Lent begins with Ash Wednesday (1 Mar 2017).
It remains a day of fasting and abstinence.
There will be imposition of ashes at all Masses on Ash Wednesday:
English- 6.15am, 6.00pm, 7.30pm
Mandarin- 7.30pm (in St. Michael's Room at Level 1)
Stations of the Cross
will be held every Friday in Lent (1 Mar - 13 Apr) at 7.30pm followed by Mass at 8.00pm.
* NO 6.15pm Mass
Formation Talks for working adults - presented by young adults.
- If we are called to love all men unreservedly, what is wrong with loving those of the same sex or transgender?
- Some of the most loving and caring people are part of the LGBTQIA Community, who are we to judge if their love is disordered and immoral?
- How are we called to respond to these questions as Catholics?
Points to note:
- Did God intend it to be this way? Or did He make a mistake? Nature vs Nurture? What does science say? What happened to tolerance and love in the Catholic church?
Saturdays 10.30am - 12noon @ St. Michael's Room (Level 1)
No registration required.
Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) is a journey to know the Catholic Faith, conducted for all non-Christians and baptised Christians. This programme is suitable for anyone who is searching for God, who is trying to understand the meaning of life, or wanting to know more about the Catholic faith.
Commencing on 2 Feb 2017:
- Every Thursday 7:45pm to 9:45pm in the Church Auditorium (Level 4)
Download registration form here.